Mermaid Birthday Party
How to have a mermaid theme birthday party or pool party
Something's fishy with most mermaid parties: they seem to be all about Disney. Some
will be satisfied hosting an Ariel birthday party, but this article is for those who want
to forget the commercial influence and host a classic mermaid party.
Mythical mermaids swim into the hearts of just about every little girl. And now's your
chance to sink or swim and throw a mermaid party she'll treasure always. It's a
refreshing departure from the traditional if you decide not to invite Disney Ariel to your
party. If you open your eyes to the underwater world, you'll find plenty of sweet sea
treasures for inspiration, like the organza mermaid favor bag, pictured top. Stuff it
with a string of plastic pearls, shell candies, shell-shaped lip-gloss necklace.
Serve up drinks with classic mermaid drink rimmers, left and mermaid swizzles sticks
just like the vintage cocktail stirrers from the 1940s. Pair the look with the colorful
plastic shell plates, top. And for appetizers, set out King Triton's forks, left.
- Mermaid pool party: If she has a mermaid's wish to have a party with the fish,
then you can create a magical underwater oasis with a mermaid pool party
that's fin-tastic and fits your budget. Set the scene with colorful shells, steel
drum music, and sea foam fantasies for memories that will last a lifetime with or
without Ariel. Be sure to see the mermaid swim fins and mermaid towels below.
Here's how you can have some frolicking fun with a mermaid theme party:
- Get Shellfish: Instead of going with Ariel for the party plates, opt for inexpensive
colorful plastic shell plates, which you can use again and again. They're sized
perfectly for lunch and cake. The vibrant colors pair nicely with the King Neptune
style cocktail picks for the appetizers.
- Make a splash with the Piñata: Fill it with salt water taffy, Efrutti Mother of Pearl
Gummi Candy, Fruit Seashell Candy, and Swedish fish, and Aloha buttermints,
because they're individually wrapped and festive.
- Give them a nice Hawaiian punch. Skip the old school drink. Create instead a sea-
foam punch with lime sherbet with lemon lime soda. Garnish with a plastic
cocktail mermaid and a drink parasol. Or mix a carbonated beverage with blue
Gatorade. Even easier: peel the Gatorade label and stick on some mermaid
stickers so it looks as though they are floating in the drink.
- Make waves with a tablecloth. Start with a sea-foam green plastic tablecloth,
then lay an ocean blue tulle over Or Barn Kids has the mermaid look with a
mermaid tablecloth and sweet mermaid plates.
- Create a sea kelp ceiling. String fishing line and drape green crepe paper or craft
fringe in clusters. For added effect, cut out fish shapes and hang them in
schools. You can also make a sea kelp limba. More MERMAID PARTY Stuff. Take a
limba stick and add crepe paper seaweed.
- Since mermaids treasure fish, here are some fun ideas for your under the sea
- Fish bowl decoration (fill a fish bowl with goldfish or Swedish Fish) and
use this as centerpiece for your party.
- Make fish in a bag gelatin desserts (idea also by Family Fun).
- Craft mini take home aquariums (this is sort of an aquatic snow globe).
Mermaid theme invitations
Kids love to help send invitations to their party. A simple and effective way to partake
is to have your child sticker envelopes and affix the postage. Did you know you can
order postage with a mermaid design? Visit Zazzle.com to declare your love for
mermaids in a postage stamp. Here are more clever ideas to help you throw a
memorable mermaid party:
- Send a message in the bottle. Start with a plastic sand art bottle and plop in a
cocktail mermaid, a bit of blue sand and a shell. Then roll and stuff your
message and hand deliver a memorable invitation. Or search Etsy.com for hand
made mermaid creations, like the set pictured right. Here's another adorable
mermaid invitation from Etsy.com
- Mermaid Birthday invitations and party wording ideas:
- Under the sea we'll soon be, as Brianna is turning three!*
- Take the plunge and swim with us Saturday, August 22 at 1:30
- Mermaid's Cove: 123 Beach street
- RSVP: Sea Queen Rachel or King Neptune Todd at 867-5309
- Have some with us fun in the sun, our little mermaid is turning one!
- Join us under the ocean blue, little Anne-Marie is turning two!
- Venture to the ocean floor, our little mermaid is turning four!
- Splish-splash and fun galore, our Brittany is five no more!
Mermaid party favors
- She'll love the Grow Your Own Mermaid card (you'll find it at Michael's stores,
not online, for about a buck).
How to decorate a mermaid party:
- Hang mermaid towels to the wind. Get a clothes line and hang mermaid beach
towels. If you're crafty, sew mermaid towels from inexpensive terry-cloth towels.
- Load steel drum music to your MP3 player. Carnival Cruise line favorites has the
classics that will set a happy tropical tone.
- Show life in a fishbowl: Buy some plastic goldfish bowls, add food coloring and
the graceful beauty of underwater plastic plants. Or fill the bowls with yummy
display of sea green and ocean blue candies and allow kids to help themselves.
(It's a party after all.) Martha Stewart has the recipe for success with a fish
bowl gelatin dessert.
- Have some sandbox fun. Make your own mini sandbox with blue sand and some
colorful ocean toys. Buy a pound of sand (or about 1.5 cups) for under four
bucks. In a pinch, you can buy salt and rub blue or green chalk into the mixture
to create your perfect color.
- Get bubbly. Load the floor with varying colors of blue, green and lilac and silvery
balloons, and place a bubble maker in a high traffic area.
- Decorate the tables with blue shark and whale gummies to create an under the
sea effect. See also our shark party and dolphin party ideas to expand the
under water fantasy.
- Something's fishy! Don't bother with the fish cakes! She may like tuna
sandwiches, but a real crowd pleaser with the younger kids is a simple
macaroni and cheese dish you make with a shelled pasta. Serve the pasta. If
you want to really accentuate your mermaid theme, then serve your pasta in a
plastic clam bowl and matching shell ladle, pictured right. Or buy a brand new
fish bowl to serve up the pasta fun.
- If she loves tuna, try this recipe for tuna boats.
Mermaid Birthday cake
Your Mermaid cake should have a fantasy element. We hope these ideas provide
- Fish around for cake ideas. A mermaid's cake is easy when you take hints from
Wilton. You may find the retired Merry Mermaid cake pan (2105-6710, 1993) on
eBay. Otherwise, you can follow their recipe for a mermaid cake using a doll
- Your mermaid cake will look even sweeter if you garnish with white chocolate
seashells. The pearly chocolate seashells left are $9 for a dozen. They're fancy
enough for a wedding, and affordable enough for your birthday party.
- More mermaid birthday cake ideas:
Mermaid cookies, cakes and sweet treats
If you're baking sugar cookies, be sure to check out our big batch sugar cookie recipe.
Here are other fun ideas for your mermaid party:
- See our sea blue candies: Stick to a candy color palette of mostly blues, greens
- Make almost from scratch Mermaid's shell cookies. Buy Madeline cookies and dip
them into a melted swirls of Wilton's green and blue melting candies.
- Make home made marshmallows. Dust with Wilton's Green Powdered sugar,
- Candy buffet: Pearlized Sixlets chocolates look like pearls! They'd make a fun
addition to a mermaid's candy buffet, as would the shell candy, pictured top left.
Add peralized chocolates, left for a dreamy under the sea buffet.
- Pour some bubbly carbonated drinks with a dash of blue food coloring and
garnish them with blue sugar rim.
- Cool them down with Ocean Blue raspberry shave ice. Or make a refreshing
blue raspberry gelatin dessert.
- Serve up blue ice cream! Allow vanilla ice cream to soften, then mix the desired
color of blue. For the ultimate tropical look, cut coconuts in half and use them for
bowls. Here's how to cut coconuts in half. Or garnish with Chocolate Seashell
Candy and serve in a small beach pail.
Mermaid party activities:
- Involve Dad in the under-the-sea fun. Kids will love to frolic with a father figure.
Dad or Uncle can dress the part of a fisherman with fishing gear and a few
props. Or he can be prince charming with a crown and cape. In either roll he can
engage the girls to ask them if they've seen the mermaids. As a fisherman he
can net the little mermaids in a game of chase on the lawn. As prince he can
ask questions and tell the girls that it's too bad they lost their voice. Or he can
be King Neptune (white Santa beard and a crown with a fork shaped spear).
King Neptune can jokingly forbid the mermaid girls to play with human things.
Have him throw human treasures in the pool.
- Paint the little ladies with Mermaid Face Painting. Drape a canopy, and some tulle
on a chair and prop a clamshell pillow to create an under the sea salon. Klutz
makes an excellent book for inspiration that includes the face paints. You're
sure to use it for years to come. You can also paint nails and toes.
- Create sea jewels: String inexpensive plastic shell beads to make mermaid
jewelry to take home.
Mermaid Party Resources
King Triton will approve of these helpful Web sites for your mermaid party:
Real mermaid parties
We hope our guide has inspired you to throw a mesmerizing mermaid pool party! Tell
us about you create a magical underwater oasis with a mermaid birthday party that's
filled with colorful shells, steel drum music and mermaid novelties.
Tell us about your mermaid party! Share party ideas with us on Twitter.
With cutepartyideas.com you can create a birthday memory for your child that can last a
lifetime! Search our Web site for other kids party ideas. See also dolphin party, shark party
beach party and surfer party.
All about a mermaid party...
Search KIDS PARTIES now:
(C) Copyright 2009-2015. All rights reserved. Updated 1/1/15.
Linking to this cute party ideas is permitted. HOWEVER, no part of this content may be reproduced, or stored in any
retrieval system, or transmitted in any other form or by any means including but not limited to electronic, mechanical,
photocopy, recording or otherwise, without the written consent of the author. The author makes no warranties
express or implied. Works are protected by copyscape. We love to link to quality sites! Write us at Twitter.
See our other kids parties.
CutePartyIdeas.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com,
amazonsupply.com, or myhabit.com.